At the General Audience, the Pope announces that in the Consistory of 24 November he will appoint six Cardinals
For the unity and communion of the Church
He reminds the faithful that believing is an authentically human act which does not contradict freedom and intelligence
Six new Cardinals will be created by the Pope at the Consistory on 24 November. Benedict xvi made this announcement at the end of the General Audience in St Peter’s Square on Wednesday, 24 October. The Holy Father informed the faithful of their names and asked them to pray “that they may always love Christ and his Church with courage and dedication”. The following is a translation of the Pope’s Words in Italian.
And now, with great joy I announce that on 24 November next I shall hold a Concistory at which I will appoint six new Members of the College of Cardinals.
Cardinals have the task of helping the Successor of Peter in carrying out his Ministry of strengthening his brethren in the faith and of being the principle and foundation of the unity and communion of the Church.
The names of the new cardinals are as follows:
1. Archbishop JAMES MICHAEL HARVEY, Prefect of the Pontifical Household, whom I intent to name Archpriest of the Papal Basilica of St Paul Outside-the-Walls;
2. H.B. BÉCHARA BOUTROS RAÏ, omm, Patriarch of Antioch for Maronites, Lebanon;
3. H.B. BASELIOS CLEEMIS THOTTUNKAL, Major Archbishop of Trivandrum for Syro-Malankaras, India;
4. Archbishop JOHN OLORUNFEMI ONAIYEKAN, of Abuja, Nigeria;
5. Archbishop RUBÉN SALAZAR GÓMEZ, Archbishop of Bogotá, Colombia;
6. Archbishop LUIS ANTONIO TAGLE of Manila, the Philippines.
The new Cardinals — as you have heard — carry out their ministry at the service of the Holy See or as Fathers and Pastors of the particular Churches in various parts of the world.
I ask everyone to pray for the newly appointed Cardinals, as I invoke the motherly intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that they may always assiduously love Christ and his Church with courage and dedication.
Established by Pope Francis based on a proposal of the Council of Cardinals
A Commission for the protection of minors
At the General Audience Pope Francis speaks about the resurrection of the body
When eternity begins
The Secretary of State greets Cardinals Tuesday afternoon
Meetings of the Council
of Cardinals continue