· The Holy Father announces Consistory 20 November nominating 24 Cardinals ·
At the end of the General Audience on Wednesday, 20 October, the Holy Father announced that a Consistory would be held next 20 November at which he would create 24 new Cardinals. The following is a translation of the Pope's Announcement, which was made in Italian.
And now I joyfully announce that next 20 November I will hold a Consistory at which I will name new Members of the College of Cardinals. It is the duty of Cardinals to help the Successor of the Apostle Peter to carry out his mission as the lasting and visible source and foundation of the unity both of faith and of communion” in the Church (cf. Lumen Gentium , n. 18).
These are the names of the new Cardinals:
1. Archbishop. Angelo Amato , sdb, Prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints;
2. H.B. Antonios Naguib , Patriarch of Alexandria for Copts, Egypt;
3. Archbishop Robert Sarah , President of the Pontifical Council "Cor Unum";
4. Archbishop Francesco Monterisi , Archpriest of the Papal Basilica of St Paul Outside-the-Walls;
5. Archbishop Fortunato Baldelli , Major Penitentiary;
6. Archbishop Raymond Leo Burke , Prefect of the Supreme Tribunale of the Apostolic Signatura;
7. Archbishop Kurt Koch , President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity;
8. Archbishop Paolo Sardi , Vice-Camerlengo of Holy Roman Church;
9. Archbishop Mauro Piacenza , Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy;
10. Archbishop Velasio De Paolis , cs, President of the Prefecture for Economic Affairs of the Holy See;
11. Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi , President of the Pontifical Council for Culture;
12. Archbishop emeritus Medardo Joseph Mazombwe of Lusaka, Zambia;
13. Archbishop emeritus Raúl Eduardo Vela Chiriboga of Quito, Ecuador;
14. Archbishop Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo;
15. Archbishop Paolo Romeo of Palermo, Italy;
16. Archbishop Donald William Wuerl of Washington, United States of America;
17. Archbishop Raymundo Damasceno Assis , of Aparecida, Brazil;
18. Archbishop Kazimierz Nycz of Warsaw, Poland;
19. Archbishop Albert Malcolm Ranjith Patabendige Don , of Colombo, Sri Lanka;
20. Archbishop Reinhard Marx , of Munich and Freising, Germany.
I have also decided to raise to the dignity of Cardinal two Prelates and two Clerics who are distinguished for their generosity and dedication to the service of the Church.
1. Archbishop José Manuel Estepa Llaurens , Military Ordinary emeritus, Spain;
2. Archbishop Elio Sgreccia , former President of the Pontifical Academy for Life, Italy;
3. Mons. Walter Brandmüller , former President of the Pontifical Committee for Historical Sciences, Germany;
4. Mons. Domenico Bartolucci , former Choir Master of the Pontifical Sistine Chapel Choir, Italy.
The list of new Cardinals reflects the universality of the Church; indeed they come from various parts of the world and carry out different tasks at the service of the Holy See or in direct contact with the People of God as Fathers and Pastors of particular Churches.
I invite you to pray for the new Cardinals, asking for the special intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God, so that they may exercise their ministry in the Church fruitfully.
St. Peter’s Square
Feb. 17, 2020
The Pope's condolences on the death of Cardinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi
On Wednesday afternoon, 22 August, the Jesuit Chinese Cardinal Paul Shan Kuo-hsi, Bishop emeritus of ...
The Church is reawakened in souls
Venerable and Dear Brothers, I welcome you with great joy and I offer each one ...
A man of God who loved the Word and served the Church
Cardinal Angelo Comastri, Archpriest of St Peter’s Basilica and Vicar General of His Holiness for ...