· At the General Audience, the Pope announces that in the Consistory of 24 November he will appoint six Cardinals ·
He reminds the faithful that believing is an authentically human act which does not contradict freedom and intelligence
Six new Cardinals will be created by the Pope at the Consistory on 24 November. Benedict xvi made this announcement at the end of the General Audience in St Peter’s Square on Wednesday, 24 October. The Holy Father informed the faithful of their names and asked them to pray “that they may always love Christ and his Church with courage and dedication”. The following is a translation of the Pope’s Words in Italian.
And now, with great joy I announce that on 24 November next I shall hold a Concistory at which I will appoint six new Members of the College of Cardinals.
Cardinals have the task of helping the Successor of Peter in carrying out his Ministry of strengthening his brethren in the faith and of being the principle and foundation of the unity and communion of the Church.
The names of the new cardinals are as follows:
1. Archbishop JAMES MICHAEL HARVEY , Prefect of the Pontifical Household, whom I intent to name Archpriest of the Papal Basilica of St Paul Outside-the-Walls;
2. H.B. BÉCHARA BOUTROS RAÏ , omm, Patriarch of Antioch for Maronites, Lebanon;
3. H.B. BASELIOS CLEEMIS THOTTUNKAL , Major Archbishop of Trivandrum for Syro-Malankaras, India;
4. Archbishop JOHN OLORUNFEMI ONAIYEKAN , of Abuja, Nigeria;
5. Archbishop RUBÉN SALAZAR GÓMEZ , Archbishop of Bogotá, Colombia;
6. Archbishop LUIS ANTONIO TAGLE of Manila, the Philippines.
The new Cardinals — as you have heard — carry out their ministry at the service of the Holy See or as Fathers and Pastors of the particular Churches in various parts of the world.
I ask everyone to pray for the newly appointed Cardinals, as I invoke the motherly intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that they may always assiduously love Christ and his Church with courage and dedication.
St. Peter’s Square
Nov. 14, 2019
Care, water and food for people in the Horn of Africa
Dear Brothers and Sisters, Continuing our catechesis on Christian prayer, we now turn to Psalm ...
I have never felt alone
Not a return to private life nor abandonment of the Cross of Christ, but a ...
The Church is reawakened in souls
Venerable and Dear Brothers, I welcome you with great joy and I offer each one ...